This weekend is dance competition #1 for the season. The dancers and choreographers at Lake Area Dance Center have been working hard in preparation for this weekend. Packing for a dance competition is a little like packing for vacation. There are many things you need to bring, and you need to be prepared for anything.
I recently asked my friends on facebook and twitter what the top 3 things they can’t go to a dance competition or recital without (besides the obvious of costumes, makeup, shoes, etc). Some of the answers I got were:
* “Water, safety pins, glue” (from a Dance Mom)
* “Camera, safety pins, bobbi pins” (from a Dance Mom)
* “Cheerios, bobby pins, and a giant water bottle! ” (from a Dancer)
* “Extra tights, headphones, and hairspray” (from a Dancer)
* “My DeWalt drill, Mountain Dew, and sunglasses” (from an Instructor)
* “Underwear (to change into clothes), string cheese, security blanket from birth” (from a Dance Mom)
* “Snacks, mirror, and a dark sense of humor” (from a Dancer and Assistant Instructor)
My twitter responses seem to have disappeared, but I know there were a couple of Dance Dads that had responses in the line of: “Advil, a flask, and Mountain Dew.”
I’m getting everything I can think of that we might need in Grace’s Dream Duffel. Here are some of the must-haves I have come up with:
* A blanket to sit on or hold up while she changes into her next costume
* Flip flops they made at their dance sleep over (for wearing between dances, and after she’s done dancing)
* Makeup in case she needs a touch up before going back on-stage (including extra eyelash glue and an extra set of lashes)
* Hair spray, bobby pins, brush (in case of a hair emergency. We’re lucky, no hair changes)
* Clear beverages
* Snacks – looks like string cheese is a winner, though, we will likely have other non-messy/staining snacks as well.
* All accessories (shoes, hat, hair pins, earrings, tights – with an extra pair of each, undergarments, body tape, safety pins)
* E-6000 and extra rhinestones
* Dance jacket and change of clothes for after she’s done dancing
* Kindle/ MP3 player, i-pod touch, coloring books, etc. to occupy kids during long waiting periods
* Camera with a charged spare battery
I’d love to hear of other things you may think of that are not on any of the above lists. Please feel free to comment!
Additions made 4/6/12:
After our first competition, there were a few things we didn’t have, that we wished we had:
* Qtips (for make-up and lipstick mishaps)
* Travel Toothbrush (lipstick on the teeth, or rushed mornings where that step was missed make this a must)
* Make-up remover wipes (we always had them last year, but ran out. I guess I forgot to replenish our stock)
* Baby wipes for after lunch and/or snack clean up.
* Hair glue (Grace has fine hair, and gets those little wisps after not much time – no matter how much hairspray we use)
I will continue to update this list as I come up with other ideas. I’d still love to hear yours. Feel free to post a comment!